Case study: Self Check-in Kiosks | EAC Certification, FSS & FAC
Self check-in kiosks are becoming increasingly popular in airports all around the world. These devices allow passengers to check in for their flight on their own without any involvement of the airport personnel. Self-service check-in kiosks are often imported to Russia and other countries of the Customs Union, and therefore need to be certified according to EAC standards.
When imported to the Customs Union (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Armenia), self check-in kiosks require a number of approvals, such as a TR CU Declaration of conformity, FSS notification/exemption letter and FAC (TELECOM) Declaration. Read further to get to know about all approvals necessary for the import of self-service check-in kiosks to the EACU.
1. TR CU Declaration of conformity
Self check-in kiosks imported to the Customs Union are subject to the following technical regulations:
- TR CU 004/2011 “On safety of low-voltage equipment” (LVD)
- TR CU 020/2011 “Electromagnetic compatibility of technical means” (EMC)
- TR CU 037/2016 “Restriction of Hazardous Substances” (RoHS)
A declaration of conformity needs to be obtained. The maximum validity of declaration is 5 years.
Product samples are not required. The declaration(s) can be obtained based on factory test reports from the manufacturer, which replaces sample testing procedures, and therefore helps to avoid additional expenses on sample delivery, customs clearance and testing.
It is possible to include all Technical regulations in one declaration, or split it in two documents: (1) declaration of conformity TR CU 004 LVD + 020 EMC and (2) declaration of conformity TR CU 037 RoHS.
Documents required for Declaration(s) of conformity TR CU 004+020+037:
- Application (completed by us, verified by Local representative)
- Articles of incorporation of the Local representative (CU resident) (State Registration Certificate, Tax Registration Certificate, Charter). If we act as the Local representative, these are WWG documents
- Copy of the valid contract with the Local representative (CU resident) with the Liability Clause (prepared by us, verified by the manufacturer and the Local representative). If WWG is the Local representative, then we prepare and verify it by ourselves and the manufacturer
- Operating documents (technical passport, description, manual, or user manual) in Russian - we are happy to help with the translation;
- Technical description of all declared products
- Test reports on the equipment performed by the manufacturer, a person authorized by the manufacturer and/or an accredited testing laboratory (if available)
- ISO Certificates (if available)
- CE Certificates and Declarations (if available)
2. FSS notification / exemption letter
As most self check-in kiosks are equipped with NFC, RFID, WiFi and HDMI interface, an FSS approval is required. Some devices might not be included in the list of products subject to FSS notification yet have cryptographic characteristics. In this case, an FSS letter of exemption will be required to successfully pass the customs.
Documents needed for FSS notification / exemption letter:
- Exact list of models/product names;
- Exact name, telephone number and address of the manufacturer;
- Legalized (apostilled or approved by consulate) power of attorney (POA) from the manufacturer (original)*;
- Full names and addresses of other production sites and branches (if any).
3. FAC (TELECOM) declaration
FAC – Federal Agency of Communication in Russia – declaration is necessary to use the equipment in communication networks and/or sale to a telecommunications operator. Please be aware that FAC declaration is valid in Russia only, and it cannot be used in other countries of the Customs Union.
Both FSS notification and FAC declaration are issued in an electronic form.
Documents necessary for FAC declaration:
- Application (completed by us, verified by the Applicant)
- Verified copy of the valid contract with Local representative (CU resident) with the Liability Clause (prepared by us, verified by the manufacturer and the Local representative). If we are the Local representative, then we prepare and verify it by ourselves and the manufacturer
- Technical description
- CE test reports (if any).
WWG will be happy to help you certify your self check-in kiosks for import to the Customs Union.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org