FSS notification (FSB notification) for products in Russia
FSS notification is a document required to export equipment containing encryption (cryptographic) characteristics such as mobile phones, computers, wireless means etc. to the Customs Union.
Products containing cryptographic means (APIs, algorithms like AES, RSA, WPA and even HDCP installed in HDMI ports) should be covered by this document. FSS Notification (Federal Security Service) / FSB notification is required for customs clearance.
FSS Notification requires an Applicant that is a legal entity registered in Russia. WWG offers the Applicant Service to provide foreign producers with the necessary support. FSS Notification is valid throughout the whole territory of the Customs Union (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia and Kyrgyzstan).
Execution period for FSS Notification is up to 15 working days after we receive all required information and documents from manufacture. However, in practice it takes about a month to issue FSS notification since one of the documents required is apostilled and notarized power of attorney (POA) from the manufacturer to the applicant. From our experience it takes at least 2 weeks manufacturer to issue and provide us with such a POA.
Power of Attorney (POA) issued by a foreign manufacturer in the name of a Russian applicant is a mandatory document required to issue FSS Notification. POA certifies that the applicant can submit documents to the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation and register notification for certain equipment.
POA should be notarized and apostilled and provided in a hard copy to apply for FSS. We highly recommend checking each step of POA legalization with WWG to avoid mistakes which may lead to negative reply on FSS application.
- First draft of bilingual POA with data on manufacturer should be signed and provided for checking.
- Next step is notarization. The notary should state the following in POA:
- Signature is authentic and truly belongs to the signatory;
- Company stamp is authentic (if the company has one);
- Signatory is authorized to act on behalf of the company and has the right to sign the POA.
- After notarization POA is checked and then apostilled.
- Final document is checked. If everything is correct a hard copy is provided to WWG to apply to the Federal Security Service.
Issued FSS Notification is received in 15 working days after applying.
The validity period of notification is not limited. However, we recommend obtaining it with maximum 5 years validity in order to avoid any questions in future.
How can I apply for FSS Notification?
Please send us the following information to email@example.com:
- Product name
- HS code
- Product description (manual, data sheets or catalogues)