FSS Notification or FSB Notification?
We are often being asked if FSS and FSB are the same thing. “FSB” it is a transliterated abbreviation from Russian (“ФСБ”). FSS is an acronym for Federal Security Service. That is, these abbreviations – FSS and FSB are interchangeable.
FSS notification is a document required to export equipment containing encryption (cryptographic) characteristics such as mobile phones, computers, wireless means etc. to the Customs Union.
Products containing cryptographic means (APIs, algorithms like AES, RSA, WPA and even HDCP installed in HDMI ports) should be covered by this document. FSS Notification (Federal Security Service) / FSB notification is required for customs clearance.
One of the key documents to get FSS / FSB notification is a Power of Attorney (POA) issued by a foreign manufacturer in the name of a Russian applicant.
POA certifies that the applicant can submit documents to the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation and register notification for certain equipment. POA should be notarized and apostilled and provided in a hard copy to apply for FSS.
We highly recommend checking each step of POA legalization with WWG to avoid mistakes which may lead to negative reply on FSS application. The most frequent mistakes are:
- Company name and address, name, surname and job position of signatory in Russian version of PoA does not match to information in English version;
- The date of PoA in Russian version does not match with date in English version;
- If the signatory is not authorized by default to act on behalf of the company (for example, signatory is not CEO, Managing Director, etc.) there should be a document confirming his/her right to act on behalf of the company and sign documents. FSS can request it;
- Incorrect notarization. The statement “the signatory is authorized to act on behalf of the company and has the right to sign the POA” is missing;
- Apostille is missing
Re-making of PoA can be cost and time consuming. WWG has a great experience in correct obtaining of PoA for FSS/FSB approval.
Russian local representative (Applicant) for FSS is required. WWG can be Applicant for FSS for free.
If you have any current request for FSS Notification, please send us the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Product name;
- HS code;
- Product description (manual, data sheets or catalogues)
Read more about FSS notification here.